Contact Us


Eric Simonson


331 E. Main St.

Belmond, IA  50421

Telelphone:  641-444-3240

Fax:  641-444-7381

Attorney Responsibilities

Your county attorney is the legal advisor and chief law officer for your county and is required by statute to:

Prosecute violations of state criminal laws and county ordinances;

Provide legal advice to the Board of Supervisors and county and township officers concerning county matters;

Represent and defend the state, county and its officers in officially related cases;

Recover money (debts, fines, penalties, child support, etc.) owing to the state, county or school district;

Represent the applicants for involuntary mental health commitments;

Represent the Department of Human Services in child in need of assistance cases;

Represent the State of Iowa in all juvenile delinquency and truancy proceedings; and

Register crime victims and notify victims of their statutory rights.


Your County Attorney also does:

Monitor the County’s compliance with all federal, state and local regulations;

Assist other departments in the development of policies, procedures and ordinances,

Comprehensive Land Use Plan and personnel policy;

Revise the governing documents of Boards and commissions, such as the Public Health Department and Veterans’ Affairs Commission;

Prepare documents for land transfers from the County;

Assist in personnel issues, such as employment contracts, workers compensation, hiring decisions and termination issues;

Conduct training for officials and employees, particularly on the topics of Open Meetings, Conflicts of Interest, gift law, public records, HIPAA;

Prepare reference materials and training for the Sheriff’s Office and Jail; and

Develop a Bad Check Policy to curtail merchant losses from bad checks.


Your County Attorney cannot: 

Give legal advice to or represent private groups or persons;

File lawsuits for private persons or defend them against lawsuits, including actions for dissolution of marriage, custody, bankruptcy;

Prepare wills, deeds or other legal documents for private individuals; or

Advise a private group or person if they have a valid civil claim.