Duties of the Board of Supervisors
The Board of Supervisors of Wright County consists of three members, each elected for four years.
Meetings are held every Monday at 9:00 a.m. in the Supervisors board room located in the basement of the courthouse. Minutes of the Board meetings are available for public viewing online, in the County Auditor's office in the Courthouse, and are published weekly in the following newspapers.
♦ Wright County Monitor
♦ Belmond Independent
♦ Eagle Grove Eagle
To be placed on the Board’s weekly agenda, contact Betty Ellis, Wright County Auditor, at (515) 532-2771 or email email@example.com.
Board of Supervisors Duties:
The Boards duties are varied and its authority embraces practically every aspect of County Government. The Board acts as a general business manager for County Government and the following are some of the duties and powers:
- Prepares the County Budget, determines tax requirements needed and levies taxes to raise revenue for expenditures.
- Appoints and fixes salaries of certain offices, deputies, permanent and temporary help, and fills vacancies in elective county offices, except members of its own body. Vacancies in the Board of Supervisors are filled by appointment made by the County Auditor, County Treasurer and County Recorder.
- Establishes policies and provides adequate funding in order to properly maintain the secondary roads system.
- Is responsible for certain social welfare programs for the citizens.
- Performs a variety of duties relating to agriculture and conservation, including participation in flood and erosion control, appointment of a Conservation Board, establishing drainage districts and zoning of County lands.
- Makes official canvass of voters of the County following primary, general and special elections.
- All bills paid by the County must be allowed by the Board of Supervisors before payment can be made by the County.
- Approve Beer, Liquor and Cigarette licenses, sending these results to the Beer & Liquor Control Department in Ankeny, Iowa, for final approval.
The Board members appoint the following department heads, boards and commissions members:
Animal Control Officer